Thursday 12 March 2015

Gods Great Love


I became a different person when I fell in love with my wife Audrey. Indeed my whole outlook on life changed.
Previously I was concentrating on my job and thinking about my future. But now my thoughts were of Audrey and our future. Unfortunately though because she lived 300 kilometres away from where I lived it was not possible to see her each afternoon when I knocked off work, and as I lived on a property out from Bourke in western N.S.W. there was no telephone connected and this was before they invented mobile phones (if you are young, can you imagine what that would be like?). Therefore, although I was not a letter writer, I found myself writing to her every evening, or should I say adding a half page to the letter I would post when the mailman called in at the property at the end of the week. After writing my half page or so, I would re-read her last letter and picture her writing it. During the day I would be working of course, but my mind was far away thinking about this beautiful girl and looking forward to seeing her again, or receiving a letter from her when the mailman arrived.

After Audrey and I were married we both got involved in quite a number of organisations and got to know lots of people, but my heart’s desire was always to be in Audrey’s company. The bible says that a husband should love his wife, as the two become one, and that is just as I have found it to be. I know that not all marriages succeed as ours has, and that is why Moses allowed for divorce, thousands of years ago, but Jesus said it was never meant to be that way.

If you are wondering why I have shared this with you. Well it is because in the fifth chapter of Paul’s letter to the Ephesian Christians we find him saying: “Husbands love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it”. The word “church” here means Christian people, not a building or a particular denomination, but you and me. Oh how we are loved!

For my part I love my wife so much that I would gladly die for Audrey if the need arose. For His part, Christ has already shown that He loved us so much that He was prepared to die for us when the need arose. He has therefore earned our love and immense gratitude. Of course this loving gratitude for what He did will only come into our hearts if we can visualise the dreadful torment in Hell from which we have been delivered (as described in the bible) and what horrific suffering He went through for you and me in order to achieve that deliverance!  Indeed the bible says “We love Him because He first loved us” (1 John 4:19). Those who don’t make it to Heaven will be “cast out into outer darkness and there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth” (Matthew 25:30). The worst situation you can imagine on earth would be “a walk in the park” compared with Hell. After all, if that wasn’t so, would the Son of God have put himself through such a dreadful experience in order to free us from something that was reasonably acceptable? I don’t think so!

Once we begin to understand the loving relationship that Christ wants to have with us and what he sacrificed for us, a great change takes place. The New Testament (2 Corinthians 5:17) puts it like this: “If any man be in Christ he is a new creature; old things are passed away, behold all things have become new”. You see that love that Jesus showed becomes part of our life, Colossians 1:27 describes it as “Christ in you the hope of glory”. So just as when I fell in love with Audrey my mind started to think constantly of her, that is how it should be in our relationship with God. Recognising how much Christ loves us we should “text” Him constantly; the method of texting that God designed for this purpose is called “prayer” and He tells us to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Young people should have no problem understanding this, after all, they never stop texting their friends. And of course just as I re-read Audrey’s letters we should re-read God’s letters to us in the New Testament. Because it is amazing how much we miss the first time we read something.

Keeping in constant touch like this assures us that “He shall direct our paths” (Proverbs 3:6) then obviously the promise that “All things work together for good to those that love God” comes into effect (Romans 8:28). Thus we come in out of the dark, as it were, and be gin to “walk in the light” with His guidance (Ephesians 5: 8).  Best wishes... Tom. 

  From friendship to complete trust in your mate, and  in God.                                                                                           

                  


       

No comments:

Post a Comment