Thursday 26 March 2015

The Easter Question.....Have you any Room for Jesus


There is a hymn that “spells out” the Easter message like this:

“On a hill far away, stood an old rugged cross the emblem of suffering and shame, and I love that old cross where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain. I will cherish the old rugged cross, till my trophies at last I lay down; I will cling to the old rugged cross and exchange it someday for a crown”. How awesome it is that Jesus was willing to pay the price of our sins so we can go free, provided we are willing to repent and “believe” in Him (Romans 5 verses 6, 7 & 8).

In Revelation 3:20 Jesus refers to the door of our heart and says: “Behold I stand at the door and knock If any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and he with me”. The artist, Holman Hunt painted this picture to illustrate that statement by Jesus. The Risen Saviour seen here bringing with Him our pardon from sin and the light of life, presents us with a challenge. You see, as God’s children we are all included as beneficiaries in Jesus “last Will and Testament”. (Called the “New Testament”) and that’s about as far as Jesus can go; the rest is up to us because, as usual, the beneficiary has to decide whether or not to claim the inheritance. How about you then? Have you claimed your inheritance yet? (Forgiveness of your sins and a life shared by Jesus plus the fellowship and guidance of the Holy Spirit). If not then you need to consider the words of this song: “Have you any room for Jesus, He who bore your load of sin, as He knocks and asks  admission, Loved one won’t you let Him in? Room for Jesus, King of Glory, hasten now His word obey; swing your heart’s door widely open, bid Him enter whilst you may. Bid Him enter whilst you may. Room for Jesus, King of Glory, hasten now His word obey; swing your heart’s door widely open, bid Him enter whilst you may”.

A friend of Holman Hunt (the man who painted that picture) said to Hunt “you forgot to put a handle on the door”. Hunt replied: “No I didn’t forget. The handle to open our heart’s door is on the inside; we are the only ones who can open the door and invite Jesus in”. Now, if we do that, or have already done so, then we will have a happy Easter and the words of the following hymn become relevant to us as a prayer: “Into my heart, into my heart, come into my heart Lord Jesus, come in to-day, come in to stay, come into my heart Lord Jesus. Out of my heart, out of my heart, shine out of my heart Lord Jesus, shine out to-day, shine out alway, shine out of my heart Lord Jesus”.

 In that way we fulfil Jesus request as recorded in Matthew 5:16, where He says “Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify my Father who is in Heaven”. We will then be very comfortable singing “I serve a risen Saviour, He’s in this world to-day, and I shall always serve Him no matter what men say, I see His hand of mercy, I feel His tender care, and every time I need Him He’s always there. He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives to-day, He walks with me and talks with me along life’s narrow way, He lives, He lives salvation to impart, you ask me how I know He lives; He lives within my heart”.   

Easter is the Pivotal point in all our lives; how we respond to Jesus death and resurrection determines how our life on earth will “pan out” and where we will spend Eternity!       Best wishes...Tom

P.S. I haven’t mentioned the Easter Bunny because it is merely a commercial gimmick and has absolutely no religious significance. Not so the Easter egg though. Eggs represent “new life” and therefore the Easter egg symbolises our “New Birth” described above.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment