Sunday 25 March 2018

The Easter Question....Have you any Room for Jesus


There is a hymn that “spells out” the Easter message like this:

“On a hill far away, stood an old rugged cross the emblem of suffering and shame, and I love that old cross where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain. I will cherish the old rugged cross, till my trophies at last I lay down; I will cling to the old rugged cross and exchange it someday for a crown”.

How awesome it is that Jesus was willing to pay the price of our sins, as recorded in John chapter 3 and verse 16, so that we can go free, (provided we are willing to repent and “believe” in Him). Jesus, referring to the door of our heart says: “Behold I stand at the door and knock If any man hears my voice, and opens the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and he with me”. (Revelation 3: 20). The artist, Holman Hunt, illustrated that statement Jesus made, as we see in his painting here, where the Risen Saviour is bringing with Him our pardon from sin and the light of life, what a challenge that is for us because as God’s children we are all included as beneficiaries in Jesus “Last Will and Testament”. (Called the “New Testament”) This begs the question: “Have you any room for Jesus? He who bore your load of sin, as He knocks and asks admission, loved one won’t you let Him in? Room for Jesus, King of Glory, hasten now His word obey, swing your heart’s door widely open, bid Him enter whilst you may?” You see, it is up to us to decide because God can do no more without removing our freedom of choice. As the beneficiaries we have to decide whether or not to claim our inheritance. How about you then? Have you told God yet that you want to claim your inheritance?  which amounts to the forgiveness of your sins and eternal life shared by Jesus plus fellowship and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

A friend of Holman Hunt (the man who painted that picture) said to Holman “you forgot to put a handle on the door”. Holman Hunt replied: “No I didn’t forget. The handle to open our heart’s door is on the inside; Therefore, we are the only ones who can open the door and invite Jesus in”. Now, if we do that, (or have already done so), then we will have a happy Easter and the words of the following hymn become relevant to us as a prayer: “Into my heart, into my heart, come into my heart Lord Jesus, come in to-day, come in to stay, come into my heart Lord Jesus. Out of my heart, out of my heart, shine out of my heart Lord Jesus, shine out to-day, shine out alway, shine out of my heart Lord Jesus”.

 In that way we obey Jesus instruction as recorded in Matthew 5:16, where He says “Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify my Father who is in Heaven”. We will then be very comfortable singing “I serve a risen Saviour, He’s in this world to-day, and I shall always serve Him no matter what men say, I see His hand of mercy, I feel His tender care, and every time I need Him He’s always there. He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives to-day, He walks with me and talks with me along life’s narrow way, He lives, He lives salvation to impart, you ask me how I know He lives; He lives within my heart”.  Easter is the Pivotal point in all our lives, whether we are an Atheist, a Christian, or whatever, because how we respond to Jesus death and resurrection determines how our life on earth will “pan out” and where we will spend Eternity! “Neither is there Salvation in any other name” (Acts 4:12).

The “Easter Bunny” is merely a commercial gimmick and has absolutely no religious significance.  Not so the Easter egg though, as it symbolises the “new birth,” mentioned to us above, which is available to us through Jesus crucifixion and resurrection (if we repent of past sin and ask for forgiveness).  If you buy an unlabelled egg make sure you tell others that it is an “EASTER” egg, and that it represents NEW LIFE.       

Have a happy Easter. Best wishes, Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment