Friday 16 September 2016

Right Priorities



In a recent article I told you that when I was given a New Testament the day that I became a Christian, I couldn’t put it down That book is so filled with the love of God that it gives you a feeling of peace and tranquility like you would get if you sat down in front of that waterfall in the photo; I read it and re-read it until the cover came apart from the pages. I did that in order to “down-load” Into my brain, as much of the information that it contained as I could.

Someone might question why I would do that, after all I had the New Testament there, available as a reference book that I could refer to at any time if I needed the information, therefore why bother with all that study?

That’s a fair question so let me explain it this way.  When I started nursing I had to take a course in First Aid, which meant that I had to study a book on the subject and sit for a theory and practical exam to prove that I had satisfactorily “down-loaded” that information into my brain.  Why? Well my employers figure that if someone I was looking after collapsed, I would need to attend to them immediately. To go and look for the relevant information in the First Aid book, in an emergency situation, could cost someone their life.  

 I think you will agree that is good common sense.  Don’t forget though, that with the First Aid, there is a good chance that I may never have to use it but

 the information in the bible is something that will help me every day.  The bible is unique, because  it outlines how we should behave in every situation.  Therefore, if I wish to live a life that is in accordance with God’s wishes then I need to know what is the correct way to act, speak and think and make that a part of my life. Which is much easier to do when you have transferred the necessary information into your brain.  Now I don’t mean that you have to be able to quote the whole book, although to be able to quote some key verses is helpful.  Nor do I mean that we shouldn’t use it as a reference book.  Indeed, most Christians read a passage every day and often refer to it, but we need to know what it is saying, and reading it thoroughly helps us to do that.

 Satan is out to tempt us to do wrong at every turn, even Jesus was tempted by Satan. What did Jesus do when that happened?  He quoted scripture that He had stored in His memory and that is an example for us.  In Chapter 4 of Matthew’s Gospel it is recorded that the “tempter came to Him (when He was hungry) and said If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread”.  But he answered and said, it is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God’.” Here Jesus was quoting from the Old Testament book of Deuteronomy, Chapter 8 Verse 3.  Note Jesus didn’t go and get a copy of the book (He was in the wilderness at the time, away from books) so it was very handy that He had previously memorized that scripture. Most of us know some Scripture quotes.  For example, if we say the Lord’s Prayer we are quoting Jesus words as recorded in Matthew 6:9-13. The bible tells us to quote scripture as part of our defense against Satan’s attacks, just as I wasn’t hurt in the car accident I had a year ago just after I had claimed Psalm 34 verse 7 (“The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him and delivereth them”). It is also good to get together at church, where we have fellowship, read the Scriptures and sing praise to God.  Hebrews Chapter 10 Verse 25 tells us “not to neglect the assembling of ourselves together, as some do”.  How do I know that?  Well as I told you, I put verses like that into my memory years ago when reading that New Testament.

  Some people say to me that “you don’t have to go to church to be a Christian”. And that is true, for example, some Christians cannot attend a meeting because of health reasons, however that verse instructs us to meet together so there must be good value in doing so if we can or God’s word wouldn’t say to.

 

The Bible is a remarkable book: Paul, when writing to Timothy, (2 Timothy 3:16) pointed out that All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” For those of you who may not know; the bible has two main divisions which are the Old and New Testaments, and each of these Testaments is a collection of manuscripts written by “holy men of God” who were inspired by God’s Holy Spirit. The Old Testament covers thousands of years and records how the entire universe, and everything in it, was created by a wise and Almighty God and gives a detailed account of God’s dealings with the human race until about 400 years before the birth of Christ. The New Testament follows on and is a record that begins when God decided it was time for Jesus to be conceived. It records His life on earth and because Jesus “qualified” many of the laws of the Old Testament with statements like “It has been said thou shalt love thy neighbor and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you…” etc. (Matthew 5:43) It is a good idea if we read the New Testament before we read the Old one.

The New Testament also documents Jesus crucifixion and resurrection and ascension, the coming of the Holy Spirit and the activities of the early Christian church and describes the “End Time”. If you haven’t read all that and you think the world has problems at the moment, think again and join the winning team now, whilst you can.          Best wishes as you consider that. Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment